Thursday, November 13, 2008

Since we last talked...

Not a lot has happened.

First, finances are somewhat better. I'm not saving $100 a paycheck anymore now that vacation's over, but I'm thinking about after Christmas starting to save again. Our TV is about to go kaput (the sound keeps going in and out - getting REALLY LOUD and then
really quiet over and over again without anyone touching the volume controls) and I'd really like to save enough to get a 40" LCD HD TV and a Blue-Ray dvd player (our dvd player is about 10 years old...the viable life for those things is 3 years). But anyway...I've got to get Christmas out of the way first. Gotta get gifts for Conman (which is the bulk of my purchases) and a couple of other people, too. Thank goodness I bought some gifts back in the summer and already have about half of my Christmas shopping done. Why? Well, we need a new Christmas tree this year, and all new outside decorations, too. Yay.

Conman went to his first Cub Scouts meeting on Tuesday and loved it. Now that football is over, he's able to go to meetings. I signed him up for basketball and paid the fee, but I dunno if he'll play or not. He's already told us a couple of times that he doesn't wanna play, which is fine by me (I can't stand basketball anyway); he has "tryouts" this evening at 6, so I suppose we'll see what happens then.

So, on Saturday I decided that I HAD to have a good meal, so the three of us took off to Charleston for a good dinner and to hopefully get a little shopping done. Well, it was a disaster from the word "go". I picked up DH and Conman and we took off, and decided to eat at a place called "Billy's". Thier tag line is "Just Good Food", and I wonder who came up with that tagline. It was just about the most horrible food I've ever had. I ordered turkey & dressing, and it was Stove-Top stuffing and a cooked-frozen-then-reheated turkey breast, so dry you could have used it as kindling. DH's meal was just as bad. Conman's dinner, fish sticks, was good, but man...you can't screw up fish sticks. After we paid our $40 for our came-from-a-box dinner, I realized that I needed to go to Logan to pick up a prescription at Wal-Mart, so we had to literally fly back to Logan from Charleston (with a quick stop at the house to pick up my wayward wallet) in order to get there before the pharmacy closed. We made it with time to spare - I thought the pharmacy closed at 6PM, turns out it closes at 7PM. Disgusted, disappointed and just...blah, we decided to just go home. We dropped Conman off at my parents' house then went to stop for smokes at the smoke shop only to find that they had JUST been robbed...so we went to the local grocery store, rented a couple of movies, bought my smokes and went home.

Sunday was better - we went to Famous Dave's for bar-b-que, then to Michael's to buy two poster frames for Conman's bedroom, then to the book store where I bought Peter Straub's Ghost Story and Stephen King's The Regulators and picked up a nifty Terry Pratchett compillation, then we looked at several other stores for a game for DH, and we finally found something at Wal-Mart; I got one too *grin*. So yeah, Sunday made up for the crappy Saturday.

I guess that's all for now. Just sorta trying to get things done around here and trying to relax at the same time (yeah, nearly impossible, I know). Until next time...

No comments: